Skip to main content

Schizophrenia or Possessed by Angry Spirits?

Dolly Doom
Photo by Orion Moon


Schizophrenia or Possessed by Angry Spirits?
Not Rated
By Myra Sue St. Clair Baldwin

Here’s an interesting story about dolls and demons from my past, and how that’s relevant to me now:
   In the 4th grade, I moved from Walla Walla, Washington to Spokane, Washington. I attended a small Christian church school (Church of God, Seventh Day) adjacent to the church we attended every Sabbath. There were only 13 students, and we each had our own cubicle facing the wall. One day I brought a doll to school, and was told that we weren’t allowed to have dolls at church, so I took my doll back home with me. I was told later that day that dolls can become possessed by demons. One teenager told me that the church took a bunch of dolls to the dump to get rid of them, and said that they heard the dolls in the back of the van talking. I was very scared as I had dolls at home, and when I went home I threw away all of my Barbie dolls. I didn’t think about the doll-head plaque that was in the bedroom we shared with my mother (while my father was still living in Walla Walla). The next morning, my older sister, who would have been about 13 years old at the time, told me that the doll-head plaque was facing a different direction then when we went to sleep. I believed her and said we needed to throw it away. My sister then exclaimed that she heard the garbage can outside tip over in the middle of the night. I was really frightened, and feared that the dolls might walk back to our apartment. They didn’t.
   Another thing the teenage girl at that school told me was that the church and church school were located on ancient Indian burial ground, and that their spirits were angry at us for having a church and church school located there and wanted us off the property. I believed her and was scared. I later forgot about it though, as I was young and easily distracted.
   Soon after, the church changed its name to Church of Yahweh 7th Day, and the pastor and his wife started pressuring the church-goers to get baptized in the name of Yahweh as “God” was not the proper name to use, so their prior baptisms were therefore “invalid”. People started getting baptized in the name of Yahweh in a bathtub inside the church, including me (against my dad’s wishes).
   When I grew up, I later became an atheist, anti-theist, and apostate and wrote an article for my community college newspaper (The SFCC Communicator), called “Let’s Go to Hell Together” in which I spoke out against a god that was vindictive and wasn’t worthy of worship. I also started speaking out against the colonial take-over of the Americas by non-Indians and the hateful genocide my white ancestors incurred.
   Flash forward to 2015 when I developed schizophrenia. Now some people believe that schizophrenics are actually possessed with “evil” spirits, which is a throw-back to the past. I believe that’s all nonsense.  Also, if I actually was possessed by spirits when I was baptized, it would be the spirits of ancient American Indians. I wouldn’t call the spirits of ancient Indians “evil” but rather “justifiably angry.” I don’t really believe in spirits though, and don’t know if any Native Americans were buried on the church grounds, but this story would make for a good film, in which angry ancient Indian spirits possess dolls and later possess the bodies of white people being baptized in the name of Yahweh on ancient Indian burial ground. This would later lead to me, a possessed white girl, later speaking out against our colonial past and the massive genocide of Native Americans and speaking in favor of American Indians regaining more of their land due to ignored treaties.
   I’m hoping I’m not harmed by a white nationalist or neo-Nazi from Eastern Washington or North Idaho, who might actually believe that I am indeed possessed, by non-white spirits that they might consider to be “evil” and am not actually a schizophrenic. Only time will tell how much traffic my blog attracts and whether or not I attract negative, hateful attention. I’m already at risk due to being an atheist, anti-theist, and apostate. Right now, I don’t have a large audience, so I doubt these white nationalists and neo-Nazis will bother with me for the time being. But with time, it’s possible that my audience will grow and that I’ll be targeted. Sometimes prominent figures speaking out against racism, capitalism, sexism and God become targeted. I hope to someday be a prominent figure, but don’t want to attract the attention of dangerous fascists. If someone does single me out though with threats or actual violence, they’ll only set me up as a martyr. They should consider that and back off and not fuck with this cunt-powered revolutionary commie!

See also:
Orion Moon Interviews Myra Sue St. Clair Baldwin
"My Schizophrenic Episode" with Myra Sue St. Clair Baldwin
The Privacy Invasion Stunt Essay #1: A Carrie Brownstein Wannabe Tries on Different Hats!

Please subscribe to our blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profiles in Black History: Kwame Ture (formerly Stokely Carmichael)

Written by Sean P. McKelvey Last week I wrote about Bayard Rustin; an essential figure in the civil rights movement, who seems basically left behind and forgotten by our history books. Unfortunately, there are a whole slew of activists that were instrumental in ushering necessary change into American society – when it needed it most – that are strangely (and suspiciously, may I add) left out of our history books. This week, I want to place a special spotlight on Kwame Ture aka Stokely Carmichael; another shining example of someone incredibly important yet seemingly left out of history, altogether. Kwame Ture was born Stokely Carmichael in Trinidad in 1941. He moved and resided in the United States of America from the age of 11 until his eventual exile from the states, which came later in his life. He was exiled after years of activism and academic critique of the U.S. American system that still greatly oppressed himself and basically, any and all other members of his

Drunkcast #2: "Potcast" Podcast

In our second Drunkcast episode, we discuss the holiday 4/20 which is also sadly Hitler's birthday, legalization versus decriminalization of drugs, our own personal histories of drug use, privacy invasion & mental health, the film "Reefer Madness", and the COVID-19 pandemic. Below is a link to the audio file for the potcast podcast: Audio File: Potcast Podcast

Schizophrenia-Related PTSD

Photo by Orion Moon Article written by Myra Sue St. Clair Baldwin I'm back in weekly counseling as well as group therapy at Frontier Behavioral Health. I'm processing a lot of memories right now since I started writing about the "Privacy Invasion Stunt" and since I have a speaking gig coming up. I went a long time avoiding processing what I'd been through. There's a lot of research out there about how many with schizophrenia had trauma, especially childhood trauma in their past, but there doesn't seem to be much or any research out there about trauma being caused BY a schizophrenic episode. The alleged spy operation I endured was VERY traumatizing. Some of the voices brought up sexual trauma I experienced in high school and rubbed it in my face. And that's not all they did. See also: Orion Moon Interviews Myra Sue St. Clair Baldwin "My Schizophrenic Episode" with Myra Sue St. Clair Baldwin The Privacy Invasion Stunt,